Thursday, January 21, 2016

Kaʻapuni Honua Series: My Summer in Chicago



Howzit, and welcome back to Kepa Aloha! My last post on this blog was back in June of 2015, so I decided to start off the new year by making a resolution to myself: write more often

I want to resume this neglected-blog by reflecting on my experience in the Windy City this past summer. Although it's been nearly 5 months since my return from Chicago, the memories and people I met through this experience are still very strong.

But before I begin, I am following my big sister Pili's example from her blog Happy Nathaniel (check um out!) by starting off my post with a disclaimer: 

I am not a doctor. I am not a psychologist. Honestly, I don't even have my college degree YET, and I just turned 20-years-old about a month ago. The views, ideas, and opinions expressed in this blog do not necessarily reflect any official organization in the health, business, or government agencies. You are reading this blog with the full knowledge that the author of Kepa Aloha is not authorized by any school, corporate company, non-profit, or government entity to provide professional advice on any legal, cultural, or spiritual opinions expressed in this blog. The views expressed are purely a reflection of Kepa's personal experiences and interpretations of events. If you follow any advice in this blog it is at your own discretion and at your own risk. If you read anything past this paragraph that means you have agreed to the terms expressed above.

Still reading? AWESOME!! 

Now for those of you who don't know, I lived and worked in the Windy City of Chicago for the summer, and I LOVED the experience! Unfortunately I was so busy immersing myself in incredible moments of exploration that I failed to post anything on my blog about it! The whole reason I had the opportunity to go to Chicago was because of a scholarship that I received through my college. This scholarship chose a group of 20 scholars from different Liberal Arts colleges around the country to participate in Chicago summer internships. I am grateful and HUMBLED to be one of those scholars.


Kemper Scholars - Class of 2017
(Missing: Emily, Matt, Tatum, & Edward)

Sunday, May 31, 2015 - Arrival in Chicago, O'Hare Airport, & Moving In!


ARRIVED AT LAST! Chicago O'Hare International Airport

After flying from Honolulu to Dallas airport with a 1-hour layover; then from Dallas to O'Hare; then from O'Hare to Downtown Chicago via the "L" (otherwise known as the Elevated Metro), for a grand total of 15 hours of traveling time, I am greeted by Chicago's biting gusts, soaring skyscrapers, and obnoxious pigeons (they really don't care if you're a tree or a human - they will fly directly at you and you WILL need to duck).

I can't believe I'm here...and why was I potogee enough to think that I would be okay wearing SHORTS straight off da plane! Auē nō hoʻi e...

Chicago Theater District. So awesome!
So what exactly did I experience in Chicago?
Well... here's a quick list of the places, festivities, and other events that I can remember attending (photos included when available):

-  Lincoln Park (Greek Festival)



- The Chicago "Loop" for an Architectural Tour
- Grant Park & the Buckingham Fountain
- Ohio State Beach
- Chicago Boat Tour
- Stop.Reset Play (The Goodman Theater)
- Meeting and spending time with nine Belarusian Delegates


- Co-coordinating activities with 12 London Youth delegates


- Putting on an event for 40 African Women Entrepreneurs


- Kemper Insurance Corporation
- Wrigley Field (Chicago Cubs vs. Cincinnati Reds game)
- Chicago Diner

Mid50mmarfest
Chicago Blues Festival

- House of Blues Gospel Brunch
- Hubbard Street Dance
- Willis (Sears) Tower ~ Over the Edge



- U.S. Cellular Field 

- On Your Feet Play (The Oriental Theater)
-  Nuevo Leon Mexican Restaurant
- Pride festival with friends!
- The Who and the What Play (Victoria Gardens Theater)
- Lou Malnati's Deep Dish Pizza!
- Millenium Park free concert
- Blue Man Group (Briar Street Theater)

And of course...LOLLAPALOOZA WITH BAE!




The event featured artists like Kid Cudi:





And of course...braddah man SAM SMITH!!



It was a beautiful day of music, love, and spending quality time with my kāne!

Overall, my summer in Chicago was more than just an internship... It was a life-changing experience that foreshadowed the development for my desire to kaʻapuni honua - travel the world!

My next blog will feature details about my current travels beyond the shores of the Continental US. Stay tuned!

Until next time... I leave you all with this live performance of Sam Smith that I recorded at Lolla.
Enjoy! See you next time!










No comments:

Post a Comment